fl studio, cubase, producer, money, radio hosting, web design

OMG! Web Design Made Easy

OMG! Web Design Made EasyHomeAbout LisaCreate a WebsiteCreate a BlogGet This ThemeSubmit Guest PostContact2 Create a Website Blog

Your guide to building, promoting and monetizing blogs and websites.

    

 

AdSense/CPCBlogging & RSSDesignGetting StartedMaking MoneyTraffic / PromotionOMG! Web Design Made Easy32 comments

ArtisteerYes, yes, I realize I’m late to the Artisteer party :) , but it’s been on my product review to-do list for ages.

If you use Blogger, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal or have a static website and need help designing or re-designing your site from scratch, this is the post for you!

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it is to use, but I was even more impressed by the numerous design options offered.  Usually builders/design tools have limited design choices, but Artisteer has more than average.

I also love that it can be used on so many platforms.  Many design tools are for static websites only or dynamic websites only.  Artisteer is for static and dynamic sites, and the code is exported with the appropriate file/folder structure.

In other words, your WordPress site will be exported just like a WordPress theme with all your WordPress files (header.php, footer.php, stylesheet, etc.)  So all you have to do is upload the folder to your themes folder.

Other than the bloated CSS code it creates, it’s a pretty solid tool.  And like with any design tool, the more comfortable you are with HTML and CSS, the more you’ll be able to customize your design after using Artisteer to build your initial design.

See Artisteer in action below…

Download a free trial of Artisteer here.  Let me know how you like it!

Related PostsTime to Change the Channel…My Biggest Design Mistake… Ever!Tagged as:, , ,

{ 32 comments… read them below or add one }

MichelleMay 9, 2011 at 8:29 am
Follow on Twitter: @eskieluvr

Awesome review, Lisa! :) I’ve been using Artisteer for about 5 months now, and I think it’s fabulous. The only *slight* issue that I can see is that the code is quite ‘bloated’. However, I’m a certified e-commerce designer who is used to hand-coding, so these things tend to really stand out to me.

Still, despite that one little thing, the code itself still validates against W3C standards. Since I work on government websites as part of my job, accessibility and W3C compliance is more important than anything else – even SEO ;)

The site designs that you can create with this software are virtually unlimited because there’s so much that you can control — and as Lisa mentioned, you can even export the designs to WordPress, Joomla, etc.

I tend to create a quick design in Artisteer, then export the code and bring it into Dreamweaver where I can further customize, create Dreamweaver Templates, etc., but that is not required. Artisteer designs are good-to-go once you’ve completed your design.

I’m keepin’ it around for a while! :)
Michelle´s last blog … May 5- Meal Plan For A Recovering AnorexicMy ComLuv Profile

Reply

lisaMay 9, 2011 at 11:29 am

That’s exactly how I use it too Michelle. Glad you’re enjoying the software!

Reply

KharimMay 9, 2011 at 8:46 am
Follow on Twitter: @BabyBoyKharim

Loved the video Lisa. This now makes it even easier to design your own wordpress theme. I think I might give it a try and then publish some wordpress themes of my own :)

The great thing about it is that you don’t even have to know programming language to use it.

LOL Lisa knows enough CSS to become dangerous (loved that statement Lisa :) )
Thanks for the heads up

Reply

Fred MillerMay 9, 2011 at 9:01 am
Follow on Twitter: @fredwrite

I like the fact that blogspot people can use this. I’d love to see everyone learning a little code and getting more freedom with their sites.

Your tutorials on html and css are really good enough for anyone to learn and edit their own code.

One thing about changing designs too much. I might think I’m on the wrong site if it doesn’t look familiar. So, I think slow, gradual changes are better than huge changes every week.
Fred Miller´s last blog … Onions and Fabric SoftenerMy ComLuv Profile

Reply

Phil@yacht charter croatiaMay 9, 2011 at 9:26 am

another step in making life easire for people who don’t speak “code”. It was either that or start picking up books with the word “dummies” in the title
Phil@yacht charter croatia´s last blog … Yacht Charter Primosten – Picture Perfect CroatiaMy ComLuv Profile

Reply

JordyMay 9, 2011 at 9:45 am

Excellent video Lisa. This is why I keep your blog’s RSS feed on my Igoogle dashboard.

By the looks of things it’s pretty easy to work with. Like everything that is associated with web design, I’m sure it requires a hefty learning curve.

When you mentioned changing the CSS, I lost all interest in the product.

My experience with learning about code hasn’t been very good. Most people that post tutorials about working with code, speak in a different language. They hardly ever consider that a beginner is reading what they have posted. It is for this reason, I avoid trying to learn.

To me, simplicity and editing CSS, HTML, PHP or any website or blog codes DO NOT go hand-in-hand!

Great post though!
Jordy´s last blog … The Urgency Of Business Website SEOMy ComLuv Profile

Reply

lisaMay 9, 2011 at 11:31 am

I understand Jordy. Yes, if you really want to enjoy the full experience of any type of design tool or editing software, it pays to know how to get in and move things around and edit the CSS. Otherwise you’re just stuck with the default template that Artisteer generates. It’s not necessary but very helpful indeed! Thanks for watching!

Reply

ScottMay 9, 2011 at 12:57 pm
Follow on Twitter: @PhotoshopEditer

I will get it once i have made $50. Cant get it bevor that because i don’t have a Credit Card.

Reply

ScottMay 9, 2011 at 1:00 pm
Follow on Twitter: @PhotoshopEditer

LOL Thais the second Time this Week i typed .blogpress.com As my Domain. Wenn will i learn?

Reply

MarkMay 9, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Very interesting, I will give it a try although I doi have a bit of experience in web design
Mark´s last blog … Samsung D9500 75-inch 3D LED TVMy ComLuv Profile

Reply

Lex KoffMay 9, 2011 at 5:40 pm
Follow on Twitter: @lexkoff

Thanks for an awesome review. I am sure to give it a try as Artisteer has been around for while and I haven’t a chance to try it.

Reply

doug_eikeMay 9, 2011 at 5:52 pm
Follow on Twitter: @doug_eike

I enjoyed watching your video. On your recommendation, I’m using the Thesis Theme, but I haven’t done a lot of tweaking yet, mostly from lack of knowledge and because I’ve been busy creating content. Are Artisteer and Thesis mutually exclusive? Or can they be used together? Thanks!
doug_eike´s last blog … Twelve Things To Consider When Purchasing A Rental HouseMy ComLuv Profile

Reply

lisaMay 9, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I would say yes they are for the most part, Doug. Thesis is a theme on its own and Artisteer creates a new theme. So incorporating your Artisteer into your Thesis design could be tricky without enough comfort with CSS and PHP. Now, I could see you using Artisteer to get ideas or maybe use it to develop certain aspects of an existing theme (the menu, header, etc.) But I wouldn’t try to merge the two.

In my opinion, Artisteer is best if you are starting from scratch. Great question, though. Someone else just asked this on my Facebook page as well.

Reply

BrankicaMay 9, 2011 at 7:17 pm
Follow on Twitter: @liveurlove

Lisa, this looks great. Loved the video. I was just checking out the site, looking at what they offer, the demo, price, etc and if I figured it out, in free trial you can create a theme and export it?

Isn’t that like everything most people want to do? I mean it is the main feature I guess.

Anyway, I never heard of it so thanks for the review :)
Brankica´s last blog … Viperbar review Is it really worth the moneyMy ComLuv Profile

Reply

lisaMay 9, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Thanks for watching, Brankica. You can do everything with the free trial that you can do with the paid version, but with the free trial your site will have an Artisteer watermark on your template.

Reply

Ti RobertsMay 9, 2011 at 11:43 pm
Follow on Twitter: @TiRoberts

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for this post. I’ve never heard of this software before.

I remember when I first began experimenting with website builders. Some of my first ones were freewebsitebuilder.com, weebly.com, and godaddy’s sitebuilder.

Oh the struggles I’ve had with these! :-)

I wish I’d known about Artisteer back then (heck I wish I know about SBI! back then)! It looks like I would have had an easier time building a functional site. I had a crazy difficult time with the others and it made for tedious work.

I suppose freewebsitebuilder.com, weebly.com was okay for a beginner with no knowledge of html or css, but they weren’t very flexible at all.

Ah well… I’ve graduated to better things since then. I’m thrilled about where I am in my site building efforts today.

Not really sure of the benefit of using Artisteer though when SBI! provides much more help when it comes to SEO traffic.

I suppose the template diversity and flexibility is a benefit as far as the look and feel opposed to SBI!’s limited template selection.

Thanks for the review anyhow, very informative :-)

Ti Roberts

Reply

lisaMay 10, 2011 at 2:21 am

Hi Ti,

Agree. Artisteer is no match for SBI!. The two don’t even compare since Artisteer only helps with design. I could see someone using it to re-design their SBI! site if they want to switch from the SBI! templates to their own custom design. In fact, I may use it to redesign my SBI! at some point since I’ve already converted out of the block builder and do my own CSS. But no you’re right. It doesn’t have any of the marketing/brainstorming help that SBI! has. Artisteer is for design only.

Reply

ragunathMay 10, 2011 at 9:24 am
Follow on Twitter: @ragunathwg

Dear sister, You designed your website by using which theme? it looks wonderful, i would like to know, what are all the things that you have been followed till now to produce a great design and customization!

Reply

lisaMay 10, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Thanks, I used the Thesis theme. I have a video on it here http://blog.2createawebsite.com/get-this-theme/

Reply

Michael / South Bay FoodiesMay 10, 2011 at 10:57 am
Follow on Twitter: @southbayfoodies

I find Artisteer as one of the best theme generators available.

Like Lisa described, I usually find a free theme I like and then customize it. But to start that process, I have to sift through thousands of themes online. After a while they all start looking the same.

With Artisteer, I can just click one button — and do it offline! — until I see something that looks interesting and then start working with it. The biggest strength is the customization aspect with the headers, columns, menus, fonts, and more. If I am hacking someone elses code its a much more intensive process.

My critique: I wish there was a tighter connection to the CSS after exporting the design so using the tool was more like a complete project instead of just a start into a project. Designs can be saved and modified with the full version but the code can’t be changed outside of the application (?). It would be sweet if the application would scan the project directory for changes and bring those into the graphical tool.

Maybe we’ll see that in Artisteer 3! :D

Reply

lisaMay 10, 2011 at 11:24 am

I agree Michael! Or it would be awesome if we could edit the CSS right there in the design phase instead of having to wait to export it. But I guess that would make it a full blown editor. Then it would REALLY be powerful and cut into the Dreamweaver market.

Reply

JeffMay 11, 2011 at 10:40 am
Follow on Twitter: @rickhart1

Thanks for the review, looks like a great product!! On the note of designers being threatened by these type of products. I think not, any designer that finds a tool that makes their life easier and feels threatened by it, its time for a career change! I think this would be a great way to throw together mockups in seconds, also an easy way to train clients to maintain their own site. Nice find Lisa!! I’ll decently be adding this to my box of goodies.

Reply

lisaMay 11, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Absolutely, Jeff. In fact a lot of designers use this to get inspiration for their clients.

Reply

web design packagesMay 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm

The first thing i mention, is that creative web design is always an ongoing process and the initial creation cannot be done in a day.
web design packages´s last blog … G Design group – Website packagesMy ComLuv Profile

Reply

harvestwagesMay 12, 2011 at 9:32 am
Follow on Twitter: @harvestwages

great Post,
I will try it out for my new project. This is my first time hearing about a software to automate the creation of a wordpress theme
harvestwages´s last blog … Top 5 Social Media Business Models For EntrepreneursMy ComLuv Profile

Reply

Sunil from The Extra Money BlogMay 12, 2011 at 11:19 am
Follow on Twitter: @extramoneyblog

I second Lisa’s comments on Thesis and Art’s mutual exclusivity. That said, I prefer the Thesis theme more so because of the added SEO capabilities and the clean back end code. Both are good options, but I would go with Thesis even if I were to do it again. Tweaking is relatively easy on both providing basic HTML knowledge. The Thesis forums are a great resource with tons of experts who are willing and able to lend a hand to anyone in need.
Sunil from The Extra Money Blog´s last blog … More Legitimate Paid Survey Companies – CashCrateMy ComLuv Profile

Reply

SailorMay 12, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I think this is something that I should check! I have a free blogger blog and the content id pretty good and now I need a more promotional looking one.
Sailor´s last blog … Cruising the Western MediterraneanMy ComLuv Profile

Reply

TinaMay 25, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Hi, Lisa.
I am VERY interested in Artisteer; however, I do have the Thesis theme in place currently. If I could use Artisteer for headers and other aspects, that would be a tremendous help to me and worth the $50. Can you take these aspects from what you create on Artisteer and use them on a Wordpress site with Thesis? If so, how much CSS knowledge is needed? Thanks so much for your help!
Take care of you.
Tina

Reply

lisaMay 25, 2011 at 3:43 pm

You absolutely could, just keep in mind that dissecting the CSS an HTML code may be a challenge if you aren’t comfortable with manipulating code. In fact, if you were going to merge Artisteer and Thesis this is probably the way you would do it. Nevertheless, if you are not comfy and have trouble with CSS then it could turn into a major headache. :) It will be important for you to know and understand which code to grab and then you would need to add the appropriate CSS to your Thesis custom.css file. So as you can see, that could get tricky.

But if you can pull it off, Artisteer can be a great asset to any blog theme. However, I suspect most people use it to create a fresh theme, not modify and existing one.

Reply

PhotoshopEditerMay 25, 2011 at 3:55 pm
Follow on Twitter: @PhotoshopEditer

If you have little CSS/HTML knowledge I would STRONGLY advise you to look at lisa’s videos. I believe the 4 CSS videos are on http://YouTube.com/2createawebsite

Also look at flash4real’s HTML for dummies videos. It helped me a lot!
PhotoshopEditer´s last blog … Quick Q&AMy ComLuv Profile

Reply

TechlinkingMay 26, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Great review. Now having a website is not difficult :)
Techlinking´s last blog … Samsung must submit their future product designs for AppleMy ComLuv Profile

Reply

ScottMay 26, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Hi Lisa,

Love the video and you tell them “snarky” designers to back off lol :)
Scott´s last blog … Using ExpressionEngine for your cmsMy ComLuv Profile

Reply

Leave a Comment

Name

E-mail

Website

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail

CommentLuv EnabledRecent PostsCase Study: Flightster.com“Why is it So Dang Hard to Make Money Online Today?”How to Build a List: Why Would Someone Bother to Sign Up and How to Retain ThemOMG! Web Design Made EasyHow to Create an Engaging Financial Website That Won’t Bore ReadersNeed Traffic? Get a Free Forum on WebsiteBabble.com!YouTube Partner Earnings OOPS!7 Tips To Make Your Blog More PersonalAre You Forgetting to Deep Link Your Pages?Plan Your Monetization Mix Before You Build Your WebsiteAre You Getting This AdSense Alert in Your Account?Improve Efficiency on Twitter with Buffer and Google ReaderSearch Blog@import url(http://www.google.com/cse/api/branding.css); Google Custom Search Must Reads"Lisa, Get a REAL Job!"42 Fabulous Free Web ToolsBad, Misleading SEO Info Spreading Like WildfireHow I Doubled My Blog Traffic in 2 MonthsI Love the Thesis WP Theme!Is SBI! a Scam?Is Your Nofollow Blog Disappointing People?Let's Talk About Your TrafficLisa's 6 Figure Income StoryMLM vs. Affiliate MarketingMy $8,200 Check From SiteSell.comMy Top 7 Money MakersOptimizing Your Code for SEO (More Traffic)Should This Woman Be Anonymous?SiteSell Says Blogging is a MistakeStarting a Blog is Easy, But…What's Your Best Performing AdSense Unit?Most Commented PostsIs Site Build It! a Scam? (392)How I Doubled My Blog Traffic in 2 Months (226)My Top 7 Money Making Programs (158)The Story Behind My 6 Figure Income [Video] (117)Hey Bloggers! I’m in Love With Thesis! [Video] (116)“Lisa, Get a REAL Job!” (109)SiteSell Sent Me $8,268.35 Last Month (102)Should This Woman Blogger Be Anonymous? (84)I Want a Website But I’m Overwhelmed! (83)Bad, Misleading SEO Info Spreading Like Wildfire (83)How I Increased My AdSense Earnings by $1000 (81)Starting a Blog is Easy, But… (80)My Thoughts on Lazy People (77)One Website Niche You Should Avoid (75)Google Gets Strict and Frustrates Bloggers (74)Review of Thesis Theme (1.8)Like my WordPress theme? Get it here.Let’s Discuss BloggingLatest blogging discussions on WebsiteBabble.com.

FaceBook Fans

Copyright © 2 Create a Website - All Rights Reserved
This blog design is powered by the Thesis Theme.
Privacy Policy | Affiliate Disclosure
Learn how to create a website
Get a domain and create your website here

View the original article here

1 comment:

  1. Hey nice post. Thanks for sharing this great post with us. It is truly very interesting post.
    website redesigning

    ReplyDelete